New House with Hearthstone and Jotul 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chris1927

Feb 15, 2016
Massachusetts
Hi. I just bought a house that has two woodstoves. There is a Jotul 3 in the basement, and a Hearthstone in the living room. I am somewhat familiar with the Jotul 3. I think the Hearthstone is a Heritage (could be wrong), but of the previous generation. I don't think there is a catalyst. I did not see a bypass lever on the right side of the stove. Could anyone out there give me inforation about how many versions of the Heritage were made, and if I am correct about there being no catalyst? Thanks.

Last edited:
See if there is a tag in a clip on the bottom of the stove. My HS has one with all the info on it clipped under the back right hand corner.

There are 4 versions of the Heritage. Once the stove is id'ed you can get the manual here:
There are also several versions of the Jotul 3. Look on the back of the stove for the UL label to identify it.

Believe there was 3 or 4 versions of the Heritage, one had cast side door, one version had soapstone door, one was revised looks, not sure of all the details. If you want history hearthstone has a sight hearthstonetech.com that would tell you. The Jotul 3 had the original 3, the catalytic model, and the clean burn version Jotul 3CB. The last one was obviously the best, very venerable heater, only "shortcoming" in most people's minds was the shorter ideal 15-16" pieces of wood, to get through the door. Very durable stove though. Both stoves are nice heaters. Good dry seasoned wood will make them perform great...

Sorry BG, did not see your post... TY friend.