Used 2014 jotul f500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Psass55

Oct 19, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
I am looking at buying a used jotul f500. The guy wants 2000 and it comes with stove pipe and chimney pipe. I think I can get it for 1800. Looks like it is in great shape and the date on back says 2014. Am I correct that this would be a v2 if it was made in 2014? Anything I should be looking for specifically with this model when I got look at it? Price seem about right? Any info would be great. Thanks.

Yes, this would be a v2. The asking price is high, likely about what was paid for it back in 2014. Ask how many cords a year they burn. If the stove has been in regular use, burning 3 cords a year, it probably needs a teardown, resealing of the seams, and new gaskets. After that it could be ready for another 10 yrs of service. If it has seen little use, then it may be good for another 5 yrs of service before a rehab.

As an alternative, call around and price out a new Jotul F45. It may be price competitive and will be a lower maintenance stove.

Sound like a good deal along with the stove and chimney pipe. A good chimney system can cost more than the stove.

I am leery of used chimney systems because one doesn't know the history, but yes, that can add value. It depends on the pipe condition, the length, and what will work for the new install. There's also a difference between value chimney like DuraPlus triple wall and top end like Excel. Usually a 10 yr old stove will lose about 50% of it's value, so the question is whether the stove is due for a rebuild and whether there is $1000 worth of piping.

Reactions: EbS-P